Department: Scientific Education
Reports To: Scientific Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Skokie, Illinois, USA, a suburb of Chicago
The International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR) is seeking a full time Scientific Affairs Manager to develop and implement various scientific, educational and communications programs for the ISSCR. The Scientific Affairs Manager is responsible for creating and delivering scientific content for the ISSCR membership, the stem cell community and the public. Key roles include the oversight and coordination of the ISSCR website portfolio, the development and maintenance of the ISSCR Connect virtual education platform, editorship of the society newsletter, The Pulse, and development of programs with the ISSCR Board and committees. He/she provides scientific support, perspective and voice for a wide range of society activities, including membership initiatives and public outreach and media resources.
The Scientific Affairs Manager works with the ISSCR Board of Directors and volunteer committees to ensure that the scientific communications and programming are relevant, accurate and aligned with the strategic goals of the society. He/she reports to the Scientific Director and works with the ISSCR staff, volunteers and vendors to execute programs on time and within budget.
Founded in 2002, the ISSCR is an independent, nonprofit membership organization dedicated to stem cell research. The society brings together investigators engaged across a wide spectrum of stem cell research from discovery to medical application. The ISSCR’s signature Annual Meeting attracts 3-4,000 attendees each year and rotates globally. The ISSCR’s Regional Forum Series and online education portal ISSCR Connect expand the global reach and breadth of educational programming.
The association is based in Skokie, IL USA (a Chicago suburb). Some international travel is required.
Position Responsibilities and Requirements
The Scientific Affairs Manager:
- Is directly responsible for the ISSCR websites including the writing, editing and collecting of content to ensure a consistent voice across all web material. Coordinates with other ISSCR departments and third-party service providers on the integration of the website with other web-related services (e.g., membership database).
- Manages the ISSCR Connect online education program, including operations, content development, speaker coordination, moderating member and public presentations and curating/editing content recorded from ISSCR meetings.
- Writes and produces the monthly ISSCR newsletter, The Pulse.
- Supports the ISSCR Communications staff to implement aspects of the society's communications plan, including the presentation of stem cell news for media, public and scientific outlets.
- Responds to public questions regarding stem cells and stem cell treatments.
- Provides scientific support for the activities of the ISSCR’s committees and taskforces, with a particular emphasis on the Clinical Translation, Industry and Junior Investigator Committees.
- Attends and prepares minutes from the Executive Committee and Board of Directors meetings.
- Provides scientific voice, perspective and accuracy for ISSCR meeting programs and marketing, membership projects and public outreach/media resources.
- Performs other duties as needed or assigned.
- Work requires the knowledge of theories, principles and concepts of molecular and cell biology in the context of cell therapy and regenerative medicine. A PhD with experience in stem cell biology preferred. Postdoctoral training and experience working outside of the laboratory an advantage.
- Thoughtful, energetic individual with the ability to communicate the ISSCR’s positions to an international, multilingual audience.
- Excellent written and oral communicator and strategic thinker capable of communicating clearly to a variety of audiences worldwide. Ability to synthesize information from scientific/medical literature and communicate responses to complex questions in scientific and layperson’s terms.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple projects at varying stages of development under time and resource pressure.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits package and recognition for your valuable contributions. We are EOE M/F/D/V.
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to Heather Rooke, Scientific Director